Shakeel: For the love of acting
By Anis Shakur
Yusuf Kamal was born on 29th May 1938, in Bhopal, India, to a highly
enlightened family. He shared the big world with his two younger brothers and a
sister. Yusuf received his primary education in an English medium school, in the
pre-partitioned India. Additionally, he also acquired education in a French
missionary school in India.
Yusuf migrated to Karachi, Pakistan, along with his family in 1952. Young
Yusuf had a flair for acting since his childhood. During his school days in
Karachi, Yusuf regularly participated in the extra curricular activities. Soon
after graduation, Yusuf made his presence felt in stage plays as well.
Yusuf Kamal changed his name to Shakeel and debuted in the 1966 film, ‘Honehar.’
Cast included Shakeel- Waheed Murad- Rukhsana- Tarannum- Kamal Irani. For
Shakeel, the film ‘Honehar,’ was a challenge he met with ferocious gusto.
Shakeel’s first television play was ‘Naya Raasta,’ which was penned by Hasina
Moin and telecast from Karachi television in 1971.
Essentially, Shakeel is a natural actor, who applies himself earnestly as a
professional duty. Karachi television presented special Eid-ul-fitr play ‘Happy
Eid,’ in the 1970s. Shakeel and Neelofar Abbasi, formerly known as Neelofar
Aleem, came up with resplendent artistry and made ‘Happy Eid,’ a memorable play.
In the final moments of the play, Shakeel wishes ‘Happy Eid,’ to Neelofar and
she greets him with ‘Eid Mubarak.’ They looked right at each other and smiled.
It was quite a smile.
The will to succeed is part of the Pakistani culture. Shakeel and Neelofar
Abbasi teamed up again in Haseena Moin’s highly successful Karachi television
drama serial, ‘Shehzori.’
You can do a world of good for yourself if you keep a steady course.
The above statement rings too true to Shakeel. Dwelling on Shakeel’s immense
artistic prowess, ‘Uncle urfi,’ could be ranked among the three greatest drama
serials in Shakeel’s forty-year eventful career. Cast included Shakeel in the
title role of ‘Uncle urfi,’ Shehla Ahmed as Beena, Qurban Jeelani as Shaheed
bhai, Azra Sherwani as Ghazi, Jamshed Ansari as Hasnat bhai.
As the story goes, Shakeel, who is super-smartly dubbed as ‘Uncle urfi,’
takes interest in Beena. In reality, uncle urfi was desirous to make Beena
happy. Logically, urfi should have taken Beena into confidence before doing her
a favor. Instead, he kept her in the dark. The final moments of the last episode
are fraught with pain and pathos.
Urfi tells Beena with certitude, ‘hamari shadi hogi to sara zamana deikhey ga.’
to which poor Beena replies, ‘kuchh shadiyaan dil kay weerano mein bhi to ho
jaati hain, sirif khuda gawah hota hai.’
The emotionally charged conclusion of ‘Uncle urfi,’ was so unexpected that
literally nobody was prepared for it. Indeed, Haseena Moin had instilled so much
despair in its dialogues that thirty-two years later, it still stands as a
classic in its bittersweet illustration of the unbreakable bond of family.
Further, Shakeel achieved enduring fame in Haseena Moin’s mega hit drama
serial, ‘Un kahi.’ Cast included Shakeel as Taimur, Shehnaz Sheikh as Sana Murad,
Javed Sheikh as Faraz, Saleem Nasir as Sheheryar, Jamshed Ansari as Timmi.
Initially, Taimur did not tolerated Sana Murad’s demeanor. But Taimur’s
father-in-law, played by Qazi Wajid, suggests, ‘Taimur, logoan kay chehray parha
karo, ye duniya ki sub say dil chasp kitaab hotay hain.’ That changed Taimur’s
perception of Sana Murad and he managed to see the sincere girl behind the
confused Sana Murad.
Most importantly, Shakeel’s numerous roles always heighten the sweetness of
living. ‘Uroosa,’ is another popular television drama serial of Shakeel. Cast
includes Shakeel- Ghazala Kaifi- Adnan Siddiqui- Mishi Khan.
As the story unfolds, Shakeel divorced his first wife, Ghazala Kaifi. Mishi
Khan, who plays the title role of ‘Uroosa,’ happens to be the daughter of
Shakeel from his first wife, Ghazala Kaifi. ‘Uroosa,’ wins everyone’s heart
through her etiquettes. She weds Adnan Siddiqui, who lives next door.
All the Pakistani television drama serials deal very well with Shakeel, who
plays them splendidly. Shakeel is also famous for his social services. He was
proactive during the recent earthquake in Pakistan. Likewise, he takes active
participation in anti smoking campaign. Furthermore, Shakeel conferred awards to
the winners in the most recent Pakistani television award ceremony held in
In recognition of his enormous contribution to the show business, Shakeel won
the pride of performance award in 1992. Shakeel’s is a long, healthy, prosperous
life, and a life really well lived.
The other day, Shakeel attended a function. Tens of hundreds of devoted
admirers gathered around Shakeel and said, ‘hum Aap ka yaad gaar tareen kirdaar,
‘uncle urfi,’ kabhi na bhool payein gey.’
Shakeel replied, ‘Thank you and good cheer to all.’ Then slowly he walked
away and soon vanished into the crowd.
Shakeel’s movies are listed below:
1. The 1968 film ‘Josh-e-intiqaam,’ cast,
Shakeel, Deeba Adeeb
2. The 1968 film ‘Nakhuda,’ cast, Shakeel- Rukhsana-
3. The 1968 film ‘Papi,’ cast, Shakeel- Bano-
4. The 1968 film ‘Zindigi,’ cast, Shakeel- Ghazala-
Ejaz- Tariq Aziz
5. The 1969 film ‘Dastaan,’ cast, Shakeel- Ghazala-
6. The film ‘Gharonda.’
7. The 1973 film ‘Insaan aur gadha, cast, Shakeel,
8. The 1973 film ‘Badal aur bijli,’ cast, Shakeel-
9. The 1974 film ‘Chahat,’ cast, Shakeel- Shabnam-
10. The English film ‘Butterflies are free.’
Some of Shakeel’s popular
television drama serials and plays are listed below:
1. Television play,’ Honeymoon.’
2. Television drama serial ‘Zer, zabar, pesh.’
3. Television detective series, ‘Naam Daar.’ Shakeel- Khalida Riyasat played
the lead roles and solved the murder mysteries.
4. The Children’s television space fiction series, ‘Tick Tick Company.’
5. Television play series ‘Mantorama,’ which were written by Sa’adat Hasan
6. Drama serial ‘Perchhaiyaan.’
7. Drama serial ‘Ana.’
8. Drama serial ‘Chand Grahan.’
9. Drama serial, ‘Uraan.’ Cast, Shakeel- Faryal Gauhar- Resham- Abid Ali
10. Drama serial ‘Tapish.’
11. Drama serial ‘Afshan,’ cast, Shakeel- Tahira Wasti- Zaini Umair- Ayesha
12. Drama serial ‘Aangan Terrha,’ cast, Shakeel- Bushra Ansari- Saleem Nasir.
13. Drama serial ‘She jee,’ cast, Shakeel- Rubina Ashraf- Babar Ali.
14. Drama serial ‘Zameen,’ cast, Shakeel- Sakina Sammo- Khalid Zafar.
15. Drama serial ‘Doosri Aurat,’ cast, Shakeel- Humayun Saeed- Aisha Khan-
16. Drama serial ‘Aandhi,’ cast, Shakeel- Sakina Sammo- Khalid Zafar.
17. Drama serial ‘Tum say mil kar.’ Cast, Shakeel - Vaneeza- Jia Ali- Ayaz Khan.
18. Drama serial ‘Saaye,’ cast, Shakeel - Marina Khan.
19. Drama serial ‘Ankahi,’ cast, Shakeel - Shahnaz Shaikh, Jawaid Shaikh,
20. Drama serial ‘Aroosa,’ cast, Shakeel - Mishi Khan, Adnan Siddiqui, Ghazala
21. Drama serial ‘Jab Jab Dil Miley,’ cast, Sadia Imam, Jia Ali, Humayun Saeed,
Shakeel, Sameena Peerzada,
22. Drama serial ‘Shehzori,’ cast, Shakeel - Neelofer Abbasi
23. Drama serial ‘Uncle Urfi,’ cast, Shakeel - Jamshed Ansari, Qurban Jilani,
24. Drama serial ‘Chaudhwee ka Chand,’ cast, Shakeel - Neelofer Abbasi
25. Drama serial ‘Colony 52,’ cast, Sanam Baloch, Danish Taimur, Shakeel, Qavi
26. Drama serial ‘Dhoop Mein Sawan,’ cast, Shakeel - Nadia Jamil , Humayun Saeed
, Samina Ahmed
27. Drama serial ‘Kothi No 156,’ cast, Shakeel - Seemi Raheel, Irfan Khoosat,
28. Drama serial ‘Qutubuddins,’ cast, Shakeel - Danish Nawaz, Badar Khalil,
Lubna Islam, Saman Agha